Burning fan causes stir at hospital

SHAH ALAM, 7 July 2017: 

More than 20 patients at a ward of the Tanjong Karang Hospital had to be transferred to a safe location for about two hours after a stand fan in one of the isolation rooms caught fire.

Tanjong Karang Fire and Rescue Station chief Azmi Abbas said the small fire in Ward Four was suspected to have been caused by the fan’s motor which had overheated.

He said the department received a call about the incident at 7.20am and fire-fighters arrived at the scene five minutes later.

“At the time of the incident, no patients or hospital staff were in the isolation room which had two beds. However, one of the staff noticed that the fan had caught fire when smoke started coming out of the room.

“The staff, with the help of other colleagues, tried  to put out the fire using three fire extinguishers.”

He said the incident did not cause any damage to the hospital’s electrical wiring or other equipment.

Azmi said the department had requested the hospital management to review all electrical appliances used in the building to prevent such incidents in the future.

– Bernama

Leave a Reply