PETALING JAYA, 1 March 2023:
The first and largest sustainable balloon installation in Malaysia is now showing adult shoppers and young visitors to the IPC Shopping Centre here how they can take a deep dive into endangered marine species, ocean-conservation, and sustainability education.
The mall’s concourse area has been set up for visitors to to enjoy and immerse themselves in an Ocean Playground made up of 85,000 pieces of biodegradable balloons.
The beautifully sculptured underwater landscape features five most endangered marine life – Hammerhead Shark (longest balloon animal at 5m long), Orca Whale (tallest balloon animal at 4m high), Hawksbill Sea Turtle, Dugong and Giant Manta Ray.
The installation – presented till Sunday March 5 – uses 100% biodegradable Qualatex balloons, which will be properly disposed at the end to ensure it does not end up in a landfill or the ocean. This is in line with the Centre’s sustainability business core, said general manager Karyn Lim.
“Malaysia is one of the top plastic ocean polluters and it is not something to be proud of. We need immediate action collectively to take better care of our ocean and marine life.
“Unlike other destinations, this Ocean Playground is our way of raising awareness on the importance of preserving our ocean for the livelihoods of marine lives and with hopes of cultivating our next generation Ocean Heroes.”
For this project, IPC Shopping Centre has partnered with 20 world-renowned balloon sculpture artists from Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, and Malaysia to bring this extravagant installation to life.
The team was led by Malaysian balloon master Joseph Ho and Taiwan’s godfather of balloons Ho Kun Leong – who have worked together on multiple occasions, one being their greatest achievement when bagging Gold at the 5th World Balloon Convention in San Diego, California in 2018.
IPC Shopping Centre will also be hosting educative on-ground activities and complimentary sustainability-driven workshops at Atrium, Level G for children aged 12 years old and below on a first come-first serve basis (priority is given to Små Club members). Listed below are the timing of the activities:
● Balloon Mascot Walkabout (Daily from 1:00pm – 2:00pm)
● Paper Plate Painting Kids Workshop (2:30pm – 3:30pm; Limited to 15 participants per session)
● Storytelling Session by Hong Jie Jie (4:00pm – 4:30pm)
● Balloon Making Kids Workshop (5:00pm – 6.00pm; Limited to 10 participants per session)
Ocean Heroes to The Rescue Perks and Contest
● Exclusive for Små Club members: Redeem a headgear representing an endangered animal of choice at i-Counter (Level G) while stocks last.
● New sign-up for IPC Tack Club Members: Redeem a free set of collapsible lunch boxes at the i-Counter (Level G).
● #IPCOceanHeroes photo contest for Tack Club Members to participate and redeem RM10 Popular vouchers. The steps to redeem the vouchers are listed below:
o Visit the ‘Ocean Heroes to the Rescue’ balloon installation and snap a photo(s) with the installations.
o Post the photo(s) on your Instagram or Facebook, tag @IPCShoppingCentre and include the hashtags #IPCOceanHeroes and #FromTheSeaToIPC.
o Present your post and Tack Club membership at i-Counter (Level G) to receive RM10 worth of Popular vouchers.