KUALA LUMPUR, 8 May 2023:
Having made its return in 2022, after a two-year break in compliance with Covid19 restrictions, the 21st edition of Le French Festival (LeFF 2023) is expanding beyond its current locations and expanding to Kuching in East Malaysia.
Co-organised by the Alliances Françaises in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur and Penang) and the Embassy of France in Malaysia, this month-long festival is an open invitation for audiences to jump into an immersive cultural experience that is offered largely for free.
French ambassador to Malaysia Axel Cruau noted that around 8,000 people attended the various LeFF 2022 activities presented last year and expressed confidence that with the addition of Kuching, the number of attendees will increase further.
Running from May 25 to June 25, LeFF 2023 main highlight will be 18 award-winning and recent French movies – with the Asian debut of The Three Musketeers , the latest adaptation of this Alexandre Dumas classic tale.
The bulk of 15 French movies will be at GSC theatres across the four locations of Kuala Lumpur, Johor, Penang and Kuching. Meanwhile, three children’s movies will anchor the Le Petit Festival – launched in 2022 – at the Alliance Française de Kuala Lumpur and the Penang Public Library, together with exciting storytelling sessions and concerts.
You may book your movie tickets starting Thursday, 18 May 2023 via the GSC app, website www.gsc.com.my or through the e-kiosks in participating GSC cinemas.
LeFF 2023 further offers a wider variety of contemporary performances, exhibitions, and a special culinary journey:
- Get your hands in flour with Paul’s chefs and book your slot for a pastry or bakery workshop. Indulge in the taste of French delicacies as you admire the colourful artworks displayed at Champignons and Delia Wines with Gallery des Artistes. Elevate your French dining experiences at participating restaurants Entier, Nathalie Gourmet Studio and Le Gourmandin.
- Experience a unique exhibition and live painting act by French painter and performer Vaultman in collaboration with local musicians Mei Lin Hii (piano) & John Thomas (drums), where you will witness two exceptional art forms under one roof at The Godown.
- Cercle, a solo dance performance brought to you by Olé Khamchanla from the KHAM Company, questions through movement the crossroads of Eastern and Western cultures.
- Let’s groove and sway along during the Fête de la musique which will explore a new format: a two-fold musical journey starting at The Godown during the day and across Chinatown at night to discover a diversity of genres and artists.
- Join LeFF 2023’s first-ever French-Malaysian duo, Lorraine Thiria and Nadirah Zakariya, as they come together to explore the power of photography to reveal the beauty in the ordinary at AFKL.
For more information on other activities, please visit https://www.alliancefrancaise.org.my/alliance-francaise-de-kuala-lumpur.
The specific dates for LeFF 2023 at the following cities are:
- Kuala Lumpur : May 25 – June 11
- Penang : June 8 – 18
- Johor Bahru : June 14 – 18
- Kuching : June 21 – 25.