PUTRAJAYA, 19 Jan 2022:
The Covid-19 situation in Malaysia seems to be raising concern as 20 new clusters were identified today – after 11 education clusters added yesterday – as another 3,229 persons tested positive over the past 24 hours to raise the nation’s tally to 2,817,163 infections.
Still leading with most new cases is Selangor (776), followed by Johor (466), Kuala Lumpur (352), Kelantan (295), Kedah (259), Sabah (242), Negeri Sembilan (181), Pahang (170), Penang (147), Perak (138), Melaka (77), Terengganu (68), Putrajaya (22), Sarawak (21), Perlis (9) and Labuan (6).
Imported cases remained high at 239, inclusive of 64 foreigners, while local transmissions were made up of 2,899 Malaysians (97%) and 91 non-citizens. Of this total, 38 persons (1.2%) had to be hospitalised.
Outpaced by new cases, the 2,848 discharges brought total recoveries to 2,744,203 (97.4%) as active cases rose by 143 yesterday to 40,761 – with 33,809 (82.9%) in home quarantine, 3,994 (9.8%) at Low-Risk Covid-19 Quarantine and Treatment Centres and 2,775 (6.8%) hospitalised.
Numbers have dipped at intensive care units with 133 confirmed Covid-19 patients (plus 29 more suspected) and among those needing breathing aids with 55 confirmed Covid-19 cases (plus another 21 suspected).
The grim statistic of lives lost to Covid-19 added nine more confirmed fatalities to bring the death toll to 31,818 – with no brought-in-dead cases to keep this subtotal at 6,417 casualties. The backlog of around a week for Covid-19 death confirmations is due to testing priority given to healing the living.
Active clusters have risen to 201 out of 6,255 identified todate as another 20 were added today – with 16 being education-related. The education clusters are made up of:
- 3 in Kedah (Dah Padang Halban Kubang Pasu, Dah Sungai Kob Kulim and Dah Sungai Limau Yan),
- 3 in Kelantan (Jalan Bandar Chiku Gua Musang, Padang Raja Kota Bharu and Pulau Melaka Kota Bharu),
- 2 in Kuala Lumpur (Jalan Dwitasik Satu 2 Cheras and Persiaran Dato Shamsuddin Kepong),
- 2 in Pahang (KM6 Karak Setia Bentong and Seberang Balok Kuantan),
- 2 in Selangor (Jalan Bedena 2/6 Sabak Bernam and Jalan Bagan 2 Sabak Bernam), and
- 1 each in Johor (Jalan Bunga Raya Kota Kota Tinggi), Negeri Sembilan (Jalan Ban Aik Dua Seremban), Penang (Jalan Sungai Nipah Barat Daya), Sabah (Jalan Pertukangan Sandakan),
The remainder four workplace clusters are in Johor (Sri Pulai Kulai), Melaka (Industri Lot 80), Pahang (Sawit Kechau Lipis) and Perak (Batu Sepuluh Lekir Manjung).