PUTRAJAYA, 17 July 2021:
Yet another grim landmark was charted with the 12,528 new Covid-19 cases today as Malaysia’s tally shot pass the 900,000 mark – just nine days after breaching 800,000 on July 8 – to record 905,851 infections overall.
The Klang Valley remains the national Covid-19 epicentre with almost two-thirds of all new cases – in Selangor (4,985), Kuala Lumpur (1,740) and Negeri Sembilan (1,280).
Other hotspot states are Kedah (701), Sabah (647), Johor (625), Melaka (569), Perak (428), Penang (396), Sarawak (388), Pahang (317), Kelantan (211) and Terengganu (177).
Recording fewer than 50 new Covid-19 cases each are Perlis (1), Labuan (22) and Putrajaya (41).
Among the eight states given leeway to ease lockdown measures, only Perlis seems to be keeping the situation under control while ever higher figures are still getting charted in Kelantan, Pahang, Penang, Perak, Sabah, Sarawak and Terengganu.
There were13 Malaysians among the 19 imported cases, while local transmissions were made up of 9,848 citizens (78.7%) and 2,661 foreigners.
Outpaced by today’s new Covid-19 cases, the 6,629 discharges brought total recoveries to 779,171 (86.02%) as active cases further soared to 119,814 with 908 patients at intensive care units and 425 needing respirators.
The highest daily fatalities figure was also charted today with 138 lives lost, bringing the death toll to 6,866 – with casualties in Selangor (46), Negeri Sembilan (20), Johor (16), Kuala Lumpur (16), Pahang (12), Melaka (11), Kedah (7), Perak (4), Penang (3), Terengganu (2) and Sabah (1). Sadly 18 Covid-19 patients were brought in dead to hospitals in Selangor (6), Pahang (5), Johor (2), Kuala Lumpur (2), Melaka (1), Perak (1) and Terengganu (1).
There was an education cluster in Penang (Jalan Seri Tawar) among the 28 identified today, together with two high-risk groups in Melaka (Paya Datuk) and Selangor (Lorong Chinniah Klang). Another six are community clusters in Kelantan (Kampung Bujuk, Kampung Kepas and Kampung Tanjung Tok Sadang), Pahang (Rantau Melor Jerantut), Sabah (Jambatan Liawan Keningau) and Sarawak (Bedup Longgo Serian).
The remaining 19 workplace clusters are in:
- Johor (Jalan Keluli Empat JB, Jalan Langsat Choh Pontian, Jalan Penaga 18 JB and Perindustrian PLO 34 Kulai);
- Kuala Lumpur (Jalan Limau Purut Bangsar, Tapak Bina Jalan Awan Besar and Tapak Bina Jalan Batu View Kepong);
- Melaka (Industri Jalan Usaha 13, Industri Lot 11 Tangga Batu and Industri Lot Lima Batu Berendam);
- Negeri Sembilan ( Industri Chembong Rembau and Industri Jalan TJ Utara Seremban);
- Penang (Lorong Jelawat, Lorong Perusahaan Baru Tiga, Lorong Perusahaan 8B and Lorong Perusahaan 10);
- Selangor (Industri Alam Perdana Kuala Selangor, Industri Saujana Teratai Kuala Selangor and Saujana Putra Satu Kuala Langat).
The 906 active clusters out of 3,233 identified todate contributed 2,606 of today’s new Covid-19 cases, close contact screening made up 5,997 cases and 3,906 from other screenings.