MCO day 104: New daily Covid-19 cases drops to just 3

PUTRAJAYA, 29 June 2020:

New Covid-19 cases in Malaysia returned to a single digit today with three cases – bringing the cumulative total to 8,637 – including 182 active cases, said Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.

He said two of the new cases were local transmissions while one case was imported.

“The imported case involves a Malaysian who was infected overseas while the two local transmission cases are also Malaysians,” he told a press conference here today.

Elaborating on the local transmissions, he said one was detected during a pre-procedure screening of a blood cancer patient in Selangor and the other was from a work place screening at a market in Sandakan, Sabah.

Noor Hisham said four cases were still being treated in the intensive care unit (ICU), with one requiring ventilator support.

Malaysia recorded 18 new cases yesterday and 10 on Saturday.

He said the death toll stands at 121, or 1.4% of the total number of cases, as no fatalities were reported today.

Meanwhile, he said 5,909 people were discharged from quarantine centres on June 10 and placed under the Home Surveillance Order (HSO) to complete their 14-day quarantine, but only 4,437 had undergone Covid-19 tests at health clinics or private clinics on the 13th day.

“Of this number, three cases were confirmed to be positive while 1,472 (of the Person Under Surveillance) still have to undergo Covid-19 screening on the 13th day.”

He said anyone who violated the HSO was liable to be fined or jailed, or both.

“The District Health Office together with other agencies involved are empowered to trace the individuals involved and take action against anyone found to have violated the order.”

Noor Hisham urged those returning to Malaysia to cooperate with MoH and to abide by the HSO.

Separately, one of the two Cambodian males who tested positive for COVID-19 upon arrival in Cambodia from Malaysia is a former patient who had been declared to have recovered.

Dr Noor Hisham said the other passenger confirmed positive was a 15-year-old who studied at a tahfiz centre in Malaysia.

“We have just been informed by the International Health Regulation in Cambodia and close contact tracing of the case will be carried out.

“One of them was an old case in Malaysia, which is case number 1,051. Although he was tested positive (in Cambodia), it could be due to virus shedding, so it is not much of a concern… he was tested positive through a RT-PCR (reverse transmission-polymerase chain reaction) test, but the virus is not active.”

Dr Noor Hisham said the Ministry of Health (MoH) would cooperate with the airline involved to identify other individuals in the plane.

The international media yesterday reported there were two positive import cases involving Cambodians who boarded a direct flight from Malaysia on Friday.

Apart from the 103 Cambodians, it was reported there were two Malaysians on board the flight as well.

Asked about the standard operating procedure (SOP) to be set for theme park owners, Dr Noor Hisham said water parks should limit the number of visitors, with the MoH discouraging a 100% opening.

“We advise everyone and the relevant theme parks to take precautionary steps and to maintain personal cleanliness, but what is important is to practise social distancing as the MoH is worried that there will be large gathering or crowding when opening the theme parks.”

Earlier, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced that 54 local theme parks – including water parks – would be allowed to operate from July 1.

– Bernama