Malaysia lockdown extended another 2 weeks to April 14

KUALA LUMPUR, 25 March 2020:

The Movement Control Order (MCO) period will be extended to April 14, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced today.

He said the extension of the MCO period was announced early to enable the people to be prepared.

“Those who are currently at their hometown need not rush back to Kuala Lumpur this weekend. Stay at your hometown and don’t go anywhere,” he said in his special address carried live on television networks.

Muhyiddin said boarding school students who should be returning to their hostels need not do so for the time being, while offices should remain closed during the extended MCO period.

He also said if the people had important matters to settle within the next two weeks, they should start planning their ways to manage it from now.

“Please stay calm and don’t panic. Even though we have extended the Movement Control Order, you don’t have to unnecessarily stock up on food because the supply is sufficient. I assure you that food is enough for everybody.

“I know you feel burdened but I don’t have a choice. I have to extend the Movement Control Order for your own safety.”

The prime minister said the MCO period would be reviewed from time to time and if there is a need to further extend it, he would make the official announcement on it.

Meanwhile, the death toll due to Covid-19 in Malaysia has risen to 17 after another death due to the disease was reported to the National Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC) today.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the patient (Case 1251) was a 66-year-old Malaysian with a history of chronic illness.

“The patient started showing symptoms of the disease a week before being admitted to Sultanah Fatimah Specialist Hospital in Muar on March 20 and was already in critical condition when taken to the Emergency Department and was in need of respiratory assistance.

“The patient was tested positive for Covid-19 on March 21 and was pronounced dead at 4.10am today,” he said in a posting on his official Facebook page.

The patient’s source of infection was still being investigated.

– Bernama