Car crashed into Penang nasi kandar outlet

GEORGE TOWN, 6 June 2017: 

In the midst of enjoying their nasi kandar meal at a restaurant in Jalan Gat Lebuh Chulia here, customers had the scare of their lives when a car rammed into it last night.

In the incident about 11.16pm at Restoran Nasi Kandar Kassim Mustafa, a Perodua Alza car driven by a 26-year-old man skidded into the restaurant – knocking over tables and chairs which had been placed outside and inside the restaurant.

Northeast district police chief, ACP Anuar Omar said initial investigations found the car – which was coming from the direction of Jalan Pengkalan Weld heading towards Jalan Kapitan Keling – went out of control and skidded after the driver tried to avoid a pedestrian who suddenly darted out to cross the road.

“It is believed that in trying to avoid the pedestrian, the driver lost control of the car which collided into a motorcycle and crashed into the nasi kandar restaurant,” he said today.

He added that the driver of the car and motorcyclist did not incur any injuries.

Anuar said the investigation found the driver of the car was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs and the accident was being investigated under Section 43 (1)(A) of the Road Transport Act 1987.

Meanwhile, a patron of the restaurant, Abdul Manaf Hashim said he was having drinks with some friends at the restaurant when suddenly he saw a black car coming fast towards the restaurant and knocking over the tables and chairs.

He said he himself was hit by one of the flying chairs and had to seek treatment at a private clinic.

The accident caused the restaurant to be in a state of chaos while the Perodua Alza car was badly damaged at the front.

In KUCHING, four members of a family escaped death when the four-wheel-drive vehicle they were travelling in skidded and plunged into a 12m-deep ravine near Rumah Impit in Jalan Ulu Padeh, Betong, today.

A Sarawak Fire and Rescue Department operations room spokesman said three of the family members managed to crawl out of the vehicle by themselves following the accident at about 8.30am.

The fourth person, trapped in the rear seat, was removed by firefighters, he said when contacted by Bernama.

He said seven firefighters led by a fire officer from the Betong Fire and Rescue Station were deployed to the accident site. All the victims were sent to the Betong Hospital, he added.

Leave a Reply