Baby suffers brain damage from possible antibiotic allergy

JOHANNESBURG, 15 May 2019:

A three-month-old baby admitted in March for vomiting, coughing and diarrhoea has taken a drastic turn for the worse – and the mother suspects it could be due to allergy to antibiotics administered at the hospital.

The day after being admitted, Vivian Mpambane was reportedly shocked to see the state of the infant. “It was like the baby could not do anything. She could not cry, she did not move. As if she was in a coma.”

She said rashes formed all over the baby after two weeks – then lesions burst, exposing the raw skin.

Unable to get any information as to what was wrong with her child, she claimed to have over doctors arguing over the amount of bactrim administered. Bactrim is a combination of two antibiotics – sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim – it is widely used to treat bacterial infections.

Much later, the doctors referred her to a social worker – who then said her infant daughter was brain-damaged and blind, reported IOL.

“According to the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website, fatalities associated with the administration of sulfonamide drugs are rare, but do occur; and severe reactions could include Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS), a rare disorder serious disorder of the skin and mucous membranes, usually in reaction to medication or an infection, and toxic epidermal necrolysis, a potentially life-threatening skin disorder characterised by widespread redness, cell death and decomposition, and detachment of the skin and mucous membranes, resulting in peeling, possible sepsis and even death.

“SJS often begins with flu-like symptoms, followed by a painful red or purplish rash that spreads and blisters. Then the top layer of the affected skin dies, sheds and then heals.

“The FDA notes that sulfonamides, including sulfonamide-containing products such as bactrim, should be discontinued at the first appearance of skin rash or any sign of adverse reaction. It also recommends that complete blood counts be done frequently in patients receiving these antibiotics.”