How can I join Cyber-RT?
To be part of Cyber-RT, you need to have one or more of these standalone cameras available:
- a standard CCTV camera (also known as IP camera)
- an old/unused iPhone or iPad
- an old/unused Android phone or tablet
Note: These devices will need to be plugged into the power socket 24/7. Also, any camera that is already part of an existing closed CCTV network CANNOT be used for Cyber-RT unless it has its own unique IP address. Only a camera with its own unique IP address – and is directly connected to the router – can be shared with Cyber-RT. These cameras cannot have a password.
- You will also need an Internet connection of at least 5Mbps with unlimited data usage (land line only – eg Maxis broadband, Time, Streamyx or UniFi). Both your modem and router will need to be plugged into a power socket as they will be on 24/7.
Note: You cannot connect your camera to Cyber-RT if you only have a mobile broadband Internet connection (eg a mobile WiFi or MiFi device).
TOTAL COST: FREE, assuming you have an old Android/iOS device lying around unused and you already have an Internet connection. The iOS app costs RM3.99 – but can be used in multiple devices as long as you use the same iTunes account. You may need to buy a CCTV camera though, if you want to use that and don’t already have one readily available…
Adding your camera(s) to Cyber-RT will need to undergo a 3-stage process – which can take up to 30 minutes and you may need help from someone with technical knowledge. You will have to repeat the steps for each camera added. The 3-stage process involves:
- getting your camera ready (download & install app)
- configuring port forwarding on your router & creating a Duck DNS account
- registering your camera with Cyber-RT (requires email authentication)