KUALA LUMPUR, 11 Oct 2019:
As with previous national budgets, Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng unveiled several mega projects to be undertaken by the government towards the nation’s economic prosperity. The latest include:
- Possible development of Carey Island to complement Port Klang, which is now the world’s 12th largest port and is expected to reach full capacity in five years. Plans include the Serendah-Port Klang rail bypass for cargo shipments and a dedicated privatised highway connecting Northport and Westport for commercial vehicles. Estimated total cost = RM8.3 billion.
- National Fiberisation & Connectivity Plan over next 5 years, government to finance at least half of required investment via matching grants with private sector. Estimated total cost – RM21.6 billion.
- New cable car system for Penang Hill to complement funicular train service. Federal govt to contribute RM100 million, rest from state.
- 165km Trans-Borneo Highway linking Sabah and Sarawak to Eastern Kalimantan.
- 500 electric buses for public transport in selected cities, Estimate total cost = RM450 million.
- Rapid Transit System linking Johor Bahru and Singapore will proceed. Additional 50 CIQ counters to open at Causeway & Second Link.
- The Bandar Malaysia project will proceed with extra 5,000 affordable homes & a People’s Park.
- Govt to acquire highway concessions for Shah Alam Expressway (Kesas), Damansara-Puchong Expressway (LDP), Sprint Expressway and Smart Tunnel. Concessions periods to be maintained and acquisition cost – plus maintenance and operations – to be fully covered by toll collections.