KUALA LUMPUR, 13 Feb 2019:
Police shot dead two Bangladeshi men, including the mastermind of a kidnapping syndicate, during a raid at a house in Taman Mudun, Batu 9, Cheras, early yesterday morning and rescued a man abducted by the group.
The group is believed to be directly involved in 13 cases of kidnapping of foreign citizens around the capital city involving a ransom of about RM2.5 million.
The two men who were shot dead in the incident at 1.35am, did not have valid travel documents.
Kuala Lumpur police chief Datuk Seri Mazlan Lazim said a 9mm Glock pistol and a long machete were found near the men who were shot dead.
“In the raid earlier this morning, there were several warning shots fired by the suspects causing the police to return fire and killing both the men” he said in a statement.
Following the incident, Mazlan said police launched a follow-up operation to locate the syndicate members and managed to detain two local men in their 30s.
“The arrests of the two local men resulted in police seizing a Perodua Alza car suspected to be used in kidnapping victims,” he said without disclosing the time and location.
He said the police investigation found the group was involved in the kidnapping and murder of a Bangladeshi men under the Pudu Market bridge off Jalan Yew, on Jan 13.
Mazlan said the operation was carried out after a report was received on the kidnapping of a Bangladeshi man in Jalan Ipoh here on Friday where the abductors demanded RM200,000 ransom from the victim’s family in Bangladesh.
The 30-year-old was found safe in a room at the house after police shot dead the two Bangladeshi men, he said.